Friday, January 7, 2011

Fears

Mister Corner got me thinking about FEARS.  As I posted on his question of the day, I have an irrational fear of bungee cords.  Yes, bungee cords, the things you use to tie down crap in the back of your truck, hold crap together that you don't feel like fixing correctly right at that moment, hold tarps over stuff, and that you see in the middle of the road all the time.

I don't have any earthly idea why I fear them so, but I will tear a place down trying to avoid them. I realize how stupid this is, but there is absolutely nothing I can do about it.  I won't go near them.  I won't use them, touch them, hand them to someone....hell, I won't even LOOK at them, like if I happen to walk down the isle they inhabit at the Wally World or something.  And if you are riding in a car with me, and one of the evil things is in the road, HANG ON because there is NO WAY IN HELL you are getting me to run that evil sucker over.  And thats a fact.

I know, I know, I need therapy.

I also don't care for heights, but that is a recent development.  When I was younger, heights never bothered me.  As I grew older, especially after I had my papoose number one, I got more and more queasy about heights.  I also enjoyed the heck out of roller coasters my whole life, until I had the papoose, and since then get quite sick on them and of course, am terrified of them because of the whole height thing.

I am also terrified of dams.  I just KNOW they are going to blow at any time and kill everyone.

Yes, we already deduced that I need therapy.

I used to be TERRIFIED of the dark.  Absolutely bat shit terrified of it.  Once I had my first daughter, magically, never gave the dark a second thought again.  I was never afraid of monsters, like horror movie monsters.  I was raised in California, and that place has been a 'never let your kids play in the front yard alone' zone forever, so the monsters I was afraid of were of the two legged and very very real variety.  I guess once I had my first papoose, the natural instinct to protect her overrode my own fear of the dark.  Best I can figure anyhow.

Spiders don't bother me too much unless they scurry across my foot or hand or something, then they are guaranteed to die a quick death for scaring me witless.

Yes, actually, I DO realize I am already witless.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for doing this, but I am LMAO over the bungy cords. I swear, I have never heard of that one. When I had Matilda, there were times on long trips that things would be bungied all over that thing. You would have been scared to death just to walk by it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, you're not the least bit witless. :-) Rock on, Sister!

    ReplyDelete